The sun sets early these days, and as someone who is completely powered by the sun and her light, I’ve fallen into an all too familiar pattern of occasional sadness. These songs aren’t connected to any particular memory but together create a feeling that I’ve felt these past few months.
When Amanda Seyfriend sings, “…I’m so lucky I am the girl with the golden hair…”, I inevitably tear up. Always. What is it about that note? Her voice? How do I always remember this particular sunset in Crema when I hadn’t even heard that song then?
Hiding Tonight by Alex Turner reminds me of J’s hometown. Even though I’ve never been there. To the neighbouringMagic, town, once, sure; but not his hometown. Yet I always think of it. The movie, the strangeness of growing up, adolescence and its mysteries.
There’s a live version of Solo by Lorde, and I think I might just prefer it over Frank’s original. (Yes, I said it)
I’ve fallen asleep to Roberta Flack’s Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow for almost all of this month. I think I first heard it in Scandal (the show with Olivia Pope). I’ve actually discovered so many wonderful black jazz artists through that show. Shonda Rhimes is a magician. “Tonight, with words unspoken, you say I’m the only one.” A feeling all too familiar.
I end the playlist with Rêverie by Claude Debussy and Jean-Yves Thibaudet. Because we could all use some Debussy induced slumber in our lives.
I hope you enjoy this.
- Sky full of song by Florence + The Machine
- Saturn Song by Beach House
- Visions of Gideon by Sufjan Stevens
- Liability (Reprise) by Lorde
- Death with Dignity by Sufjan Stevens
- Thank You For The Music From ‘Mamma Mia’ Original Movie Soundtrack
- Only Ones Who Know – Arctic Monkeys
- I Only Have Eyes For You – The Flamingos
- Venice Bitch – Lana Del Rey
- Hiding tonight – Alex Turner
- Not That You’d Even Notice – Keaton Henson
- Solo by Frank Ocean
- Self Control by Frank Ocean
- We Find Love by Daniel Ceasar
- I’ve Been Waiting For You From ‘Mamma Mia’ Original Movie Soundtrack
- Mia & Sebastian’s Theme From “La La Land” Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
- Love is A Losing Game – Amy Winehouse
- Goodbye Kiss by Kasabian
- Georgia On My Mind by Oscar Peterson Trio
- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow by Robert Flack
- Gymnopédie No.3 by Erik Satie, Isaac Stern, Frank Brieff
- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? – 2011 by Amy Winehouse
- Futile Devices by Sufjan Stevens
- Une Barque Sur L’océan by André Laplante
- Rêverie, L. 68: Rêverie by Claude Debussy, Jean-Yves Thibaudet
- I’d Rather Go Blind by Etta James
- Ravel: Ma mère l’oye, M.60 – For Piano Duet, M.60 – 5. Le Jardin féerique by Valerie Szervánszky, Ronald Cavaye
The entire playlist can be found here.
Featured GIF by HayleyPowers